Verse of the Day

Wednesday, August 27, 2008


The Box

You know there is nothing like receiving a gift, is there? It has always been such a joy to me to receive them no matter the size, the color, the design or where it came from either. My husband laughs at me at Christmastime because he knows I would rather have a ton of presents than just one real big one; so most of my Christmas wish list consists of little things which about drives him nuts. But, he gets more delight waiting for me to open the next gift knowing that I will beam from ear to ear with the biggest smile because there is another gift in my lap. He and the boys just laugh thinking that mom gets excited over a little book or a scarf of some sort when they are digging to get under that tree and find out if the latest power tool, or video play station or favorite videos are hiding there. It is just always so humorous. Yet sometimes, in all of the wrapping or placing those gifts in the bags these days, something seems to be missing doesn't it? Do you remember the excitement as a child of opening "the box"? Do you remember how much fun it was to either rip the paper off to get to the inside of "that box"? You knew what was in it before you opened it, but you couldn't get to it fast enough, could you?
How often in our lives do we take for granted what's important? I find myself way to often taking for granted the dearest things to me. I will sometimes have to tell myself to stop and remember the gift right before my very eyes. It is so easy today in the hustle of each day to forget about the things that are important: God, family, friends, and maybe even coffee! For those who know me best, they know that there is nothing like that first cup in the morning, is there? Yet, even then, I must be cautious that I not become unaware of the little things around me. I tend to go slipping around through the day not even realizing how wonderful that sunrise was, that first cup of coffee in the morning, and sometimes even after reading that first scripture verse, I move right along. I don't stop to consider what a blessing I have in my hands. I may even fail to think twice about that verse I read and yet it could be the one thing I will need by mid-afternoon.
Sometimes in the afternoon, I have a co-worker who will come in and we will share 1 piece of a little dove candy square or hershey kiss. Just one. Yet, how often have I overlooked or neglected the fact that it was not just that I was enjoying a piece of chocolate that completely melted in my mouth, but I was enjoying it with a friend. Many times, I've thought that little square was just going to be a pick me up or a sugar fix, and yet it was a moment with a friend to whom we shared a thought with the other or a prayer request. To me, those are better than the chocolate (I know ladies, that's tough for just about any of us to say).
I hope that you will do the same today. As you go about the day thinking about your To Do List or each little task you will have to accomplish in your work today, I hope that you will remember your "box" that was so exciting as a child to open. Or, maybe you'll think about your friend that you shared your chocolate square with today. I hope that we each will take a few moments to be thankful for the little things right before our eyes and not take for granted what might be in that "box" - it could be exactly what we've been waiting for today. Take just a few minutes today to remember your gifts, I will too and I will remember you - thanks for being a part of my "box".

No comments:

Designed for You


Vote for this Site