Verse of the Day

Friday, August 22, 2008


Changing Stations

Have you ever noticed that when you are doing that “radio surf” how much static there is on the stations until you finally get it right on the station you want (and even then sometimes the signals are all off)?
Well, as I was driving in my car today, I experienced this very same thing. I couldn’t help but ponder what stations I must be surfing in my own life. I’ve wondered so often how in the midst of so much “static” or “noise” going on in my life if I could really be tuned in right. If there is so much commotion around me, how could I honestly tune in and hear from God? I purposely kept trying to change the stations on the radio just so I could see how it would sound. I was right in my thinking.
The noise, the static, the commercials, the constant buzz or chatter, it was nearly more than I could stand. What I realized in doing this though, was that I found myself becoming anxious and overwhelmed with the bombarding of sound around me. I literally felt my neck muscles tense up and the beat of my heart increase to a more rapid pace. It is truly no wonder that the scripture tells us in Psalm 46:10 to Be Still. Now don’t get me wrong, I am one for playing and having fun and “talking”. But I realize that sometimes, God is saying, I need your attention and you can’t hear me in all of that “stuff”.
Where are you today? Are you in the midst of so much noise and distraction that you find yourself worn out, or exhausted? Are you bombarded with worries that overwhelm you? Perhaps you too need to do a little exercise in tuning in to Be Still. Sometimes, it will require more effort to get alone and to be just in the midst of the Lord God.
I can actually remember one time in my home where there seemed to be just “noise” everywhere and in every room. I was trying to find a quiet place to do my bible study. The TV was on while my husband watched the history channel in the den, my youngest son was playing in his room, my oldest son was playing his guitar and listening to music in the living room, the washing machine was running, the dryer was running, the noise was everywhere. I literally went into the bathroom, closed and locked the door and turned the fan on in the bathroom to block out the noise. I remember sitting down on the floor just crying because I just wanted to be alone with God. It was just chaos everywhere and I could sense it in my spirit and my mood.
The enemy will take many opportunities to distract you and to keep you in the hustle and running to and fro if it means keeping you from that quiet time with the Lord. The enemy knows your weak spots and he will take every chance he can to keep you from that time because he know that in that time you will gain strength, you will gain understanding, you will find rest for your soul, and you will find peace in the midst of your storm as your rest in the Father’s arms. Take a few moments today…start changing stations and tune in for what God has next.

2 comments:

Chel said...

Amen sister girl! I like IT!
Chel

Chel said...

http://marina-daughteroftheking.blogspot.com/2008/02/what-ever-happen-to-neighbors-like-lucy.html

You must read it!! Marina is a doll!
Chel

Designed for You


Vote for this Site